So, another reason I started this blog was to feature my boyfriend Mark’s awesome cooking.
Tonight, I will be sharing the recipe to his delicious Red Kidney Bean Stew:
- 1 cup red kidney beans (Dry)
- 1 cup raw chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped cubanelle pepper
- 1 smoked pork neck (4 oz.)
- 1 clove (3g) raw garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 small cachucha peppers
- 1 russet potato (in chunks)
- ¼ Cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp dried ground oregano
- 1 tsp hungarian paprika
- 1 dash ground black pepper
Prep Time: 15 min / Cook Time: 2 hrs / Serves: 4
Stats per Serv (4oz): Cal – 184 / Carbs – 37g / Fat – 2g / Protein – 17g
With 4oz of white rice (as pictured): Cal – 287 / Carbs – 59g / Fat – 3g / Protein – 20g
- Wash and soak beans overnight (or at least 4 hours) in three cups of water.
- Pour beans and soaking liquid into a sturdy saucepan and bring to a boil for one minute. Then, cover and simmer for one hour.
- After simmering, add the bay leaf, chopped onion, garlic, dried oregano, cubanelle pepper, sliced cachucha peppers, smoked pork neck and russet potato chunks.
- Toast cumin, paprika and black pepper in a hot, dry pan until fragrant. Then, add to simmering liquid.
- Cover and simmer for an additional half hour to hour. Longer if necessary.
- Add chopped cilantro.
So, there you have it, a delicious dinner and not bad on the calories, either. Enjoy!